23 Aug 2021

Panasonic Lumix GX80 and GX9 camera comparison

The Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 is the successor to the DMC-GX80, but how much difference is there? Is it worth upgrading to the GX9? In this article we'll explore the strengths of these two cameras and discover some of the notable differences the later GX9 has to offer.

Panasonic name their cameras depending on where they sell them in the world. The GX80 is also known as the GX85 or GX7 II. The GX9 is also known as the GX7 III. In this article we'll refer to them simply as GX80 and GX9.

  • The GX80 was released back in 2016. It has a 16 megapixel sensor in a compact range-finder style body. It was aimed at the enthusiast level. 
  • The GX9 was released in 2018. It has a 20 megapixel sensor in a very similar body to that of the GX80. 


My Story
I used the GX7 for a number of years. The GX8 was too big, I waited. The GX80 came and for four years I have used and loved it! It is just the right size for me, it has a lot of features in a small package. The GX9 was always tempting, to get the newer 20 megapixel sensor, but the price was too high for such seemingly small differences with the GX80. However, I recently bought the GX9 due to a fantastically low price. Was the upgrade worth it? 


Common features
The two cameras are very similar in looks. On paper the GX9 is slightly bigger and heavier but you can't really tell. In the hand both cameras feel the same. The rear screen flips up and down but not far enough for selfies. Both have an EVF (electronic view finder), 5-axis IBIS (in body image stabilisation) and the same battery. There are three custom positions that are easily accessible from the model dial C position. 

Top: GX9 | Bottom: GX80 - both fitted with the 12-32mm f3.5-5.6 compact zoom lens


Physical differences 
The GX9 has an improved grip due to the large thumb rest. It isn't a massive change but I like it a lot. 

GX9 thumb rest and dials on top

Exposure compensation dial. This is nice but it doesn't make a lot of difference as changing the exposure compensation on the GX80 was so easy. On the GX9 it is possible to disable the physical dial and do it the GX80 way if you prefer. So far I have been using the exposure dial as it is. It doesn't have a lock but I've not had a problem with it moving accidentally yet. 

The main PASM mode dial is smaller on the GX9 because it sits on top of the exposure compensation dial. I would've preferred it to stay the same size as the one on the GX80 but it is ok like this. 

GX9 switch for AFS, AFC or MF


The GX9 has a switch for AFS, AFC and MF (Auto Focus Single point, Auto Focus Continuous and Manual Focus) - just like my old GX7 did! In the same place on the GX80 there is a Fn button that by default is set to 4K Photo. For me having the AF/AFC/MF switch makes a difference. On the GX80 I had a Fn button programmed to it but I prefer this little switch. By the way, it works fine with the MF clutch on my Olympus 17mm F1.8 lens, when you move the clutch, MF is engaged automatically. It overrides the AF/AFC/MF switch position. 

In relation to the GX80, the GX9 power on/off switch has moved just a few millimetres to the left. It's not a problem, just something to get used to. 

On the GX80 the EVF is static. The GX9 EVF swivels up. This can be useful for looking down or if you are at odd angles. However, in practice I don't find this useful, not when I used my old GX7 and not now on the GX9. It's just a nice to have feature. 

According to the specs, the EVF image quality and size are the same on both the GX80 and GX9. However, in my opinion the GX9 view finder image is better. Anyway, that's just my subjective opinion, both EVFs are small in any case. 

Left: GX80 | Right: GX9

The LCD back panels on both GX80 and GX9 are also very similar in specification. Subjectively I do find the GX9 a little more vibrant but that might be more due to the newer menu graphics looking cleaner. 

USB and HDMI ports on both cameras are on the right side. On the GX80 there is a flap covering the ports. The GX9 has a very nice little sliding door. I prefer the GX9 solution, it is more refined.

The lens mount on the GX80 is a sharp edge. On the GX9 it is tapered, it curves slightly. This means if you mount smaller diameter lenses there are no sharp edges for your fingers to touch. This is a subtle difference but I like it, again a design refinement. 


Internal improvements
The GX9 has a 20 megapixel sensor. It's better than the GX80's 16 megapixel on paper. Practically do not expect any massive difference in image quality. 

Both the GX80 and GX9 have WiFi. The GX9 has Bluetooth. The Bluetooth can be used to log GPS coordinates in photos as you go. It's also possible to use the app as a remote trigger using the Bluetooth alone. There maybe other advantages but I have not fully explored this yet. Whether this is important or not is debatable. If you use a tripod a lot then perhaps the remote trigger would be nice because it doesn't use so much power as the WiFi. On both cameras the WiFi drains the battery fast!


Software improvements
The menus in the GX9 have been updated. The graphics have a cleaner look, they look higher resolution, the black is a deeper black. More menu options can be seen at once, for example, on the GX80 the first photo menu has eight pages whereas the GX9 has four. There has been some rearrangement too, now the third menu (C and spanner icon) is very short, just five options. But select any of those menu items and there is a sub-menu below. This might seem cheating but I don't mind this, I think it is better. Having a very long list makes it difficult to find what you are looking for, this is an improvement over the GX80. 

Left: GX80 | Right: GX9

In the menus on the GX80 of you wanted help there was a line of text scrolling by at the top. I didn't find that helpful. With the GX9 press Disp and it shows a little window with an explanation. 

The biggest practical update to the menu is having My Menu. It's a customisable menu for you. Add any menu items that you like. I've added things like Time Lapse and WiFi - always the sort of options I usually cannot find but don't want to assign to a button. I am impressed with Panasonic for including this My Menu option to the GX9, they could've decided it was a consumer level camera and left it out. Adding it really means they understand some of us appreciate this extra customisability (Olympus, I hope you are listening - add such features to your lower end models, why not?). 

On my GX80 the battery level indicator had three bars. It wasn't a very precise way of telling how much juice you had left. The GX9 has improved this, now there are four bars. Yes it's not a big improvement, but it's better than nothing. Dear Panasonic, if you are reading this, please give us a percentage number instead. 

A minimum shutter speed can be set on the GX9. This could be useful if you wanted to photograph in Aperture priority but you still wanted to keep your shutter speed within a certain range. 

The GX9 has a completely new feature called Sequence Composition. This is in the Playback menu. First take a 4K Photo clip, have something move through the frame. Use Sequence Composition to select some frames from the 4K Photo clip and merge them. The resulting image will have whatever was moving through the frame, appearing multiple times at multiple points. I haven't tried it yet but I'm looking forward to some fun with it. 

4K Photo Bulk Saving is a new feature that will save lots of frames from a 4K Photo clip. 

Sometimes on my GX80 I would want to use a filter but I assign the Filter option to a menu button. This is because when using the mode dial, it's in Auto. Using a button means I can control my exposure and then apply the Filter. But on the GX80 the assigned Filter button would switch the current Filter on/off. With the GX9 the button will give you the choice of filter to select.

The Post Focus feature is available from the Drive button. This is a good idea because on the GX80 it was only in the menus and a pain to find. The Post Focus option can be useful for focus stacking. I hope the GX9 focus stacking has improved, it wasn't the best on the GX80. Something else to try! 

If you have a lens with a button on it, there is an option in the GX9 menu to configure it. 

The GX9 has an option to configure the folder structure and filenames. 

The GX9 has a new Photo Style called L Monochrome D. Set it up how you like, it is even possible to add simulated grain to the image. There's also Cinelike D and V Photo Styles.


Video
When filming 4K video, both the GX80 and GX9 have a crop. The crop is greater on the GX9. For me it isn't an disadvantage because I don't use video much and usually I stick with Full HD. Having a crop does mean you can get slightly closer to the subject too. But I know this is also a disadvantage because it means the view you have for photography is not the same as the view you have when you switch to video. 

GX9 video modes including PAL and NTSC

The GX9 does have a better selection of video modes. The GX80 was set to 25 and 50fps for Europe. However, the GX9 allows for 30 and 60fps too. 


Conclusion
The GX80 is a wonderful camera, they already got so much right with it. The GX9 is an enhancement over the original. It is like two Bakewell tarts and one has a cherry - that is the one you want but the other will be just as delicious. 

If you already have a GX80, my recommendation is to stick with it unless you see the GX9 at a fantastic price (that's what happened to me!). Or perhaps if your GX80 dies, get a GX9 next time. 

I do applaud Panasonic for these two models. The GX9 is a refresh of the GX80 where they kept the spirit of a small but powerful enthusiast level camera. For a travel and street camera, the GX series works so well. I do hope Panasonic will not forget to give us a GX10 in the near future.


References and links

A written comparison between the GX80 and GX9: 
https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/panasonic-vs-panasonic/gx9-vs-gx85-gx80/

Specifications: 
https://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=panasonic_dmcgx85&products=panasonic_dcgx9

A video review of the GX9 but with reference to the GX80 and other GX models: 
https://youtu.be/3UleohHc8CA


Disclaimer
I wrote this article to help others and for my own pleasure. I have no affiliation with Panasonic or any other camera company. These are just my own thoughts and opinion. If you disagree, that's fine.


1 comment:

Vit said...

I used to have both. The main advantage of GX9 is the ability to use auto iso in manual mode and be able to tweak brightness with exposure compensation. GX80 is more pocketable due to non-swiveling evf. I am leaning more towards gx80 again, it just fits my trousers pocket better with pancakes like 14 2.5, 20 1.7 and 12-32 3.5-5.6. And surprisingly, GX80 has faster interface, especially touchpad focus, which is bit laggy on gx9. Nevertheless, great cams both...