15 Feb 2013

Could not create the Java virtual machine

Problem
When starting a Java application the message appears:
Java Virtual Machine Launcher
Could not create the Java virtual machine.

The solution for this issue varies. Here are some alternative solutions:


Solution 1
Nine out of ten times this can be fixed by reinstalling Java Runtime. I strongly recommend you look in Control Panel | Add and Remove Programs and remove (uninstall) all copies of Java Runtime you have. Then make sure you shut down, restart the computer.

Download Java Runtime from http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
Install Java Runtime.
All should be well...


Solution 2
I had one situation where even after reinstalling Java Runtime three times it did not make any difference, the 'Could not create the Java virtual machine' error just came up again and again.

I checked the computer for anything that looked strange and out of place. In Task Manager I saw a program called ibsvc.exe. It wasn't familiar to me, I did a search on the web and found this website description: http://greatis.com/blog/adware/ibsvc-exe.htm
It's part of software called InstallBrain from PerformerSoft --- it looks very dodgy, most likely spyware.

To remove it I killed the ibsvc.exe process in Task Manager and immediately deleted the ibsvc.exe from:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\IBUpdaterService 

That didn't solve the problem, still Java didn't work. But then I found another PerformerSoft related file: srchalgomngr.exe
In Control Panel I saw something called 'Algo Application Manager' by PerformerSoft LLC. I uninstalled this program and restarted the computer.

When I tried Java, it worked!!!

NOTE: 
I don't know for sure if these exe programs were stopping Java from running but it is very likely! Maybe on your computer you don't have these exe files but perhaps you have a similar problem? I recommend you look for any dodgy looking software, any spyware, any toolbars like Babylon or similar, remove them all! Run an anti-virus scanner on your C: drive, I recommend MalwareBytes. If you are experienced you will find Process Explorer useful.

UPDATE:
6th April 2013 - Please see the following article for more help:
http://mgxp.blogspot.ch/2013/04/uninstall-video-performer-manager_6.html



Solution 3
Make sure your Windows virtual memory is set correctly. I recommend you set it to 'System Managed Size'. You must shut down and restart the computer for the change to take effect. You can find out more details here: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/sysdm_advancd_perform_change_vmpagefile.mspx?mfr=true


Solution 4
You can add runtime parameters to the Java Runtime startup. This did not help me but it is worth a try.

In Control Panel double click Java (or run javacpl.cpl), click the Java tab and View. Enter -Xmx512M into the runtime parameter box. If that doesn't help, try -Xmx300M. This is explained in more detail here: http://www.duckware.com/pmvr/howtoincreaseappletmemory.html


Conclusion
I hope one of the above solutions helps you solve this problem. As I mentioned above, usually it's solved just by reinstalling Java Runtime. On one occasion it was some possible spyware that after removal Java worked normally again. You will have to investigate and try each of the above solutions. Good luck!



No comments: