19 Sept 2018

Buying a new smartphone? Why not try something different this year?

Be different!
It is September 2018, that time of year when Apple releases new iPhones. Are you excited? You can't wait to get the latest shiny phone? It will be easy to renew that one or two year contract, just sign...

Or maybe stop, think about doing something different this year. You could save a lot because smartphones from the likes of Apple are coming with USD 1000+ price tags these days! Even if you buy on a contract, you still pay this high price (actually you probably pay more).

There are options, you can make savings and have more functionality. I know that sounds crazy but it is true!


Options!
I have been following the reviews and changes in smartphones closely for more than two years. I have witnessed an increase in prices for top end flagship phones from the major players like Samsung, Apple and Hauwei. But all is not lost because at the same time there's been an increase in what are known as "budget flagships" or "midrangers". These are smartphones that rival top of the range flagships for features and yet are cheaper! Yes it's true, even many of these cheaper phones have more functionality than the most expensive phones. Yes you didn't misread that, I really said that you get more for less!

For example, take new iPhone XR, that's the cheapest one from the 2018 line-up. Here in Switzerland the cost will be about CHF 879 (approx. USD 909) and that's just for the base model with 64GB of storage (not expandable) and not even a FullHD screen. There are many alternatives that will give you more for your money. The Nokia 7 Plus is just CHF 379 with 64GB storage (expandable), fingerprint reader, 4GB RAM, dual hybrid SIM support, FullHD+ screen, headphone jack and more! Yes in benchmarks it will not be as fast as flagships or the XR but if you read any review of the Nokia 7 Plus they'll tell you it can handle anything you throw at it, even games. This isn't the only option, there are many from Hauwei, Xiaomi, Motorola, OnePlus and Samsung. Even LG's currently flagship, the G7 is around CHF 600. That's got full waterproofing, fingerprint reader, headphone jack, 64GB storage (expandable) and a QHD+ screen (the highest resolution). Compare this to all the phones in the iPhone X range, none have fingerprint reader, expandable storage nor headphone jacks. In fact I read that the 2018 iPhone X models don't even come with a dongle in the box, something else to buy (and lose).


Apple concerns
For Apple iPhone users I do recognise there is one obstacle to switching to a more affordable option. That's the software. Outside of the world of Apple all other manufacturers are using Google Android. But don't be scared, it works in a similar way. Maybe a bigger worry is how to leave the Apple eco-system. Firstly please know that there are alternatives to iCloud, FaceTime and all the other Apple software services. It is also likely you'll save money as you will have more choices. Google provide many free services such as storing your photos. If you have your contacts in Gmail, you have nothing to worry about on a Android phone, contacts synchronise automatically. My advice is to make the effort to switch because once you've made the switch a whole world of choice and lower prices will open up to you. The following article explains the process in detail: https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/how-to-switch-from-iphone-to-android/


Conclusion
Value for money is important to me and perhaps that makes me different than others? I don't think I am so special, most would welcome a bargain, right? Have a look at what's available, you'll be surprised. If you are in Switzerland I recommend Digitec.ch as they have a wide range from all brands.

A year ago I wrote another article where I went into more detail on this subject and also on mobile phone contracts. I recommend you take a look at that too: https://mgxp.blogspot.com/2017/06/smart-thinking-about-your-next.html


Disclaimer
I hope this article can help you but at the end of the day it's your choice, I cannot be held responsible for any trouble you get yourself into. My article is just my opinion, maybe I am wrong! Please just take this as a guide only. All links on this page were valid at the time of writing. My article is purely my own work, I don't work in the smartphone industry, I have no affiliation to any smartphone company.

No comments: