3 Oct 2018

Microsoft Word has stopped working - error when editing an existing document

I opened an existing Word document and edited the footer. I just typed some letters and bang - I got a message Microsoft Word has stopped working and then I have to close Word!


I tried several times including using the recovery option and I continued to have this issue. It was really annoying because I hardly typed anything before Word would crash and the document was only two pages so hardly anything to tax Word or the computer's resources.

I tried repairing my Office 2013 but this did not help me. I searched online and found some articles, here's one that was particularly clear and helpful:
https://www.online-tech-tips.com/ms-office-tips/fix-microsoft-word-has-stopped-working/
However, it didn't help me, my problem persisted!


Solution
Instead of double clicking the Word document from Windows/File Explorer I tried opening it from within Word (File | Open). This did not help. Then I realised there was a repair option when you open the document - I tried this and it worked for me! Here's exactly what to do:

In Word click File | Open
Click Computer and Browse to where you have stored the document
Select the document you wish to open - but don't open it, look at the bottom right of the window:


Click the down arrow on the Open button (as shown above)
Click Open and Repair

The document opens and you may edit it, it should not crash! 
Click File | Save As, replace the old document with this new one.


Conclusion
The Open and Repair option worked for me. I hope it helps you but if not try the link I included above, there were other ideas there that might help you. Good luck!

NOTE: In the above example I was using Windows 7 and Word 2013. 


2 comments:

adam scott said...

great information. The blog was really nice, I really found out about a lot of Awesome content.epson connect printer setup utility

Michael Gerrard said...

Thanks, glad I could help 😀