15 Dec 2019

Which MicroSD card should I use in my Dell Inspiron 13 5391?

Recently I bought a shiny new computer, the Dell Inspiron 13 5391. It's a high-spec but reasonably priced laptop (as of November 2019), I'm very happy with it.

The 5391 has a MicroSD card slot. I wanted to use a MicroSD card for backup. I bought a SanDisk Ultra, U1, (10). I have used these cards before, they are inexpensive and a reasonable speed. As I was only backing up files to it, I felt I didn't need more. I plugged this MicroSD card into my 5391 and it appeared as a drive, all appeared normal at first...


Problem
However, when I tried to use it, my computer, in general slowed down. Copying files was like watching a video in slow motion. I tried to set up Windows File History, it gave the error "Could not enable File History". Formatting the card was taking minutes and eventually I had to reboot my PC. I tried the same card in another computer and it read it without problem. I tried the same card in an Android smartphone, it worked fine. I formatted it there. I put it back in my 5391, still the same problem...

I recommend a fast U3 MicroSD card for use with the Dell Inspiron 5391

Solution
I tried another, faster MicroSD card that I already owned. The Toshiba Exceria U3 is a faster card (U3 as opposed to the slower U1) and when I put it into my 5391, it works perfectly! I'm using File History on it without any trouble.


Conclusion
Let's be clear, I am not saying SanDisk don't make good MicroSD cards. I believe my Dell Inspiron 5391 (purchased from Dell Europe) requires a faster MicroSD card. I can tell you for sure that the Toshiba Exceria U3 128GB works. It is very likely that a similar U3 card by SanDisk would also work too. The SanDisk card that I bought, I am currently using it in my Android smartphone without any trouble.

I hope that has helped others who purchase Dell Inspiron 5391 (I have the 13" European model). Pay a bit extra and get a faster card, it's more likely to work!


Reference
  • U3 = 30MB/sec transfer
  • U1 =10MB/sec transfer
The following link explains more about SD cards and their speed ratings:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SD_card


Disclaimer
Everything I've written here is to the best of my knowledge and experience only. I have not made any extensive tests. I've written this article to help others.




Words for search engines to discover this page:
Dell Inspiron SD card reader problem 
Dell Inspiron SD card reader not working
Dell Inspiron MicroSD reader not working 
Dell Inspiron MicroSD reader problem
Can't read MicroSD card
Dell Inspiron 5000 series
Dell Inspiron 13 5391 MicroSD reader problem




No comments: