26 Jan 2020

Dell Inspiron - adjust display contrast and saturation

I have a Dell laptop and the out-of-the-box colour settings on the display were not to my taste. The saturation and contrast were way off. Changing the brightness is easy, press Fn and the brightness buttons F6 and F7. But what about changing the saturation and contrast?

I found the Windows display calibration app, but it's funny in that it tells you to set the contrast but gives you no controls to do it! I couldn't see any control in my system tray icons. Why is it so difficult to do such a simple thing!?! But it is simple when you know how...

NOTE: The following solution is what I discovered for my Dell Inspiron 5391 but it's very likely this will work for any Dell laptop that has Intel UHD graphics.


Solution
In the search box type "intel" and you'll see Intel Graphics Control Panel - click it :-)


Here you can change everything. I found sliding the Saturation back to -28 improved things a lot but of course you should try yourself and see what best suits your eyes. It's good to have a photo open at the same time or to move the window to one side to see your desktop. That will help you preview the change.

When you are finished you can click Save Profile.


NVIDIA
My laptop has NVIDIA graphics too. However, my impression is that it is only used when games are run. Otherwise the computer appears to rely upon the basic Intel UHD graphics. If anyone knows more about this then feel free to write in the comments below.


No comments: