8 Nov 2020

Sony Android TV connects to the WiFi but not the internet

One day my Sony Android TV (KD‑49XF8096) suddenly stopped receiving anything from the internet. For example, YouTube did not work. 

  • I checked the router (WiFi), all was fine, I could surf the web from my phone and computer.
  • The TV itself was working, it switched on, started up and appeared to work fine, apart from not communicating with the internet. 

One thing occurred, maybe there's a time sync problem? This can be an issue for computers. Let's check the time setting:


Solution

Press Home on the TV remote

Click Settings (gear icon on the top right of the screen)


Click Date & Time

You'll see the data and time setting is by default 'Automatic' and set to use 'Broadcast time'. This is the time from the internet, it should be a good option normally but under some circumstances it can cause this issue.


Click Automatic date & time

Click Use network time

This fixes the problem because 'network time' is the time from the local router (WiFi). This is the first 'hop' in the communication from your TV on its way to the internet. Your router will get the correct time from the internet, therefore all will be well, all the devices will have the correct time and stay up-to-date.

Most importantly, for me this solve the problem, YouTube was working again!


Conclusion
If you've had this issue, I hope this helps you! If not, I'm sorry, I hope you find the solution soon. At least you have ruled out this particular issue from your troubleshooting. 
 



No comments: